January 29, 2013

Game Day Guacamole ~ More Than Just A Dip! #LMDConnector

The Super Bowl is back again!  And I must admit, it's not the football that excites me (except for the site of Tom Brady, of course!).  I've never been a football fan, although I'm married to a serious football ADDICT!  What I do like about Super Bowl is the food!  I love bar food - dips, nachos, homemade chili, and deep fried anything.  My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

When it comes to party foods, one of my favourite dishes to make is guacamole.  I've tried many different recipes over the years, but I always go back to one that I created on my own, with simple ingredients and ready in just a few minutes.



Before making homemade guacamole, you have to start with perfectly ripe avocados.  You can buy them ripe (look for pebbled, dark green or black skin) or unripe (look for smooth green skin).  When purchasing ripe avocados, they should yield to gentle pressure but should not be overly soft or mushy.  If you purchase unripe avocados, you can ripen them at home in 3-5 days by placing them in a paper bag on your kitchen counter.  I also speed up the process by storing them in a fruit bowl with bananas for a few days.

Once you have the perfect avocados, you're ready to make guacamole!

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
1 heaping tablespoon of your favourite salsa
juice of 1 lime
pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Using a large kitchen knife, slice the avocado in half lengthwise.  Gently twist the two halves in opposite directions.  Remove the pit by tapping it with the sharp side of the knife or spooning it out.  Peel the skin off of the avocado (you can also use a large spoon to remove the flesh from the skin) and place the avocado pieces in a bowl.  Repeat with the 2nd avocado.
2. Mash the avocado with a fork, leaving small chunks.
3. Add the juice of one lime, salsa and salt.  Mix well to combine.
4. Serve with fresh veggies or unsalted tortilla chips, enjoy!



Mash avocado, leaving small chunks.


Fresh-squeezed lime juice is an absolute MUST!


I like to add my favourite salsa for extra flavour.


Leaving the pit in a bowl of guacamole will not prevent
it from oxidizing (turning brown) - that is a myth.
 But I do leave it in the bowl for presentation purposes!


Yum!  Ready to eat!

Guacamole is a perfect dip for a party.  But it doesn't stop here!  You can use guacamole as an ingredient for some delicious recipes that will have your Super Bowl guests drooling!  Check out the Life Made Delicious website for some easy, delish recipes for game day.  Here are some of my favourites:














Add avocados to your diet and favourite recipes.  Add a little flavour and enjoy with family and friends while cheering on your favourite team this weekend!



I’m part of the Life Made Delicious blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. As with every post that I write, the opinions on this blog are my own.

No comments: